Decora Door, Inc./dba Doors By Decora warrants all stile and rail doors manufactured and sold by Doors By Decora (hereafter, DbyD) to be of quality material and workmanship and to be free from manufacturing defects which render said doors unserviceable for their ordinary recommended use for a period of two years from the date of manufacture.
Subject to the conditions and restrictions listed below:
Upon receipt all visible defects which can be reasonably discovered by inspection or mistakes in shipment must be reported to DbyD within 10 days and before the product is installed, finished or cut in any way. Otherwise, the product shall be deemed correct and acceptable.
Should a Decora door fail to conform to this warranty, DbyD will at its sole option (1) repair the door(s), (2) replace the door(s), or (3) refund the original price paid to DbyD for the door(s). DbyD will not pay for the labor, installation, or finishing of the replacement door, all of which shall be the sole responsibility of the person making the warranty claim.
DbyD will not be liable for any door(s) replaced or repaired without its written consent. In areas where DbyD does not have a representative, the claimant may be required to provide photographs, other documentation, or in some cases, return the door(s) as required by DbyD to aid in determining the validity of the claim and the best remedy.
The following shall not be considered defects in materials or workmanship and are not covered by this warranty:
I – WARP TOLERANCE
1. Warp or bow on any door wider than 42” or taller than 96”.
2. Warp or bow in any nominal 1 3/4” or thicker door, 42” wide or 96” tall, or smaller that does not exceed 1/4” in the plane of the door. Warp is any distortion in the door itself and does not refer to the relationship of the door to the frame or jamb in which it is hung. The term warp shall include bow, cup and twist. Measuring the amount of warp present in the door, the following method shall be used: bow, cup and warp shall be measured by placing a straight edge, taunt wire, or string on the suspected concave surface of the door at any angle (i.e. horizontally, vertically, diagonally) with the door in its installed position. The measurement of warp shall be
made at the point of maximum distance between the bottom of the straight edge, taunt wire or string and the face of the door.
3. Bow or non-alignment problems in jambs that have not been installed so that all legs are plumb and the header and threshold are level. A 6’ or longer level should always be used in the installation.
4. Cypress doors are sold to be rustic. It is a wetland wood and has moisture pockets that often cause the wood to check, split or warp. This is part of the esthetics of cypress doors and for this reason is not warranted.
5. If a warranty claim is because of warp, DbyD may defer repairing or replacing the product for a period of up to 12 months from the date of installation or date of the claim, as it is not uncommon for a temporary warp condition to occur as the door adjusts to local humidity and temperature conditions, This deferral will not count against the warranty period.
6. True plank and Flush doors are not warranted against warp or bow.
II – DAMAGE
1. Damage caused by others or by any cause beyond the control of DbyD, including–but not limited to–damage
caused by misuse, abuse, accidents, mishandling or by fire, flood, earthquake, storm, tornado or other acts of nature. “Misuse” of a door includes–but is not limited to–using a door on a building without providing adequate overhang or an appropriate finish. Adequate overhang depends on the typical weather conditions of the area where the door is to be used and the direction it faces. This typically means an overhang projecting a distance from the structure one-half the distance between the bottom of the door and the bottom of the overhang. Appropriate finish usually means avoiding dark colored finishes on surfaces exposed to direct sunlight to reduce chances of warping or checking and keeping all six (6) sides sealed with a good waterproof finish with a UV inhibitor.
2. Damage caused by failure to properly finish, handle and care for the door which includes–but is not limited to–damage caused by failure to seal and keep sealed all six(6) sides of the door and properly comply with the information found in the “Finishing Instruction” information available from DbyD. Doors should be finished immediately upon receipt. Failure to seal all six(6) sides of a door within 10 days of receipt will void this warranty.
3. Damage caused by failure to perform normal homeowner’s maintenance, including maintaining the finish on all doors (factory finish or customer finish). DbyD does NOT WARRANTY how long a factory finish or any other finish will last.
4. Damage due to extreme temperature build-up where storm doors are used. Storm doors must be vented to avoid this temperature build-up.
5. Product failure due to improper or incorrect installation.
III – PANELS
1. Panel movement or shrinkage of 1/4” or less. The door panels in your door are “floating panels” and are designed so they can move with changes in temperature and humidity. This may cause a panel to shrink, leaving an unstained line along a panel’s edge. This is not a defect (see “Maintaining Your Door” for how to work with this normal movement).
2. DbyD recommends using smooth or v-groove raised panels. We will build flat or flat v-groove panels but do not warranty them against splits or cracks.
IV – FINISH
1. Variations or unsatisfactory results in color, gloss level, texture or appearance resulting from field application of stain, paint or any other finish material. All doors that are shipped unfinished have been factory sanded but will require finish sanding before staining or painting.
2. Natural variations in color, texture, and grain of the wood.
3. Discoloration, rusting, or finish deterioration of any decorative metal accent pieces (grills, clavos, strap hinges) or other hardware that is not warranted by their manufacturer.
4. Knot placement, quantity, size or depth of knots on knotty woods such as knotty alder doors.
5. Texture, grain, size variation or placement of distressing marks in distressed doors.
V – GLASS
1. Double glazed insulated glass is not warranted against seal failure if it is installed above 4,000 feet.
2. Triple glazed insulated glass is not warranted against seal failure.
3. Glass claims such as scratches, smudges and other blemishes must be claimed within 10 days from receipt of the doors. The standard for determining that a scratch, smudge or blemish warrants replacement is as follows:
a. It can be seen from a distance of 11 feet
b. It occurs within an oval shaped area comprising 80% of the viewing area of the glass.
c. It is visible against normal daylight (not direct sunlight) when viewed perpendicular to the glass.
4. Under the terms of this warranty, our obligation is to replace the defective glass F.O.B. from the dealer’s warehouse that supplied the glass. No labor, installation and/or consequential damages are included.
VI – MISCELLANEOUS
1. Hardwood surface checks that are less than 1/16” in width and 4” in length.
2. Expansion or contraction due to varying environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity.
3. Doors shipped out of the continental United States are not warranted.
VII – CLAIMS
Claims under this Limited Warranty must be made in writing within the period of the warranty and before any work is done to repair to: Warranty Claims, Doors By Decora, P.O. Box 3426, Montgomery, Alabama, 36109 or FAX to 334-279-5470. Claims should include the date and location of purchase, the DbyD invoice number, the nature of the problem, and the name, address and phone number of the person making the claim. DbyD reserves the right to have up to 30 days to have the door inspected by a representative of DbyD.
The Limited Warranty extends only to the original purchaser of the products or to the original purchaser of the structure into which such product is installed.
This warranty sets forth DbyD’s maximum liability for its products. DbyD makes no other warranty, expressed or implied, including implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, with respect to its products except as it is set forth above. No distributor, dealer or representative has the authority to change or modify this limited warranty. In no instance shall DbyD be responsible for indirect, consequential or incidental damages.
This warranty gives you the specific legal rights, and you may also have other legal rights which vary from state to state. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of implied warranties or of incidental or consequential damages, so the limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. In such a case, the duration of any implied warranty shall be the same as that of the expressed warranty stated within.
This warranty is effective for all products manufactured or sold after September 1, 2006.
Note: DbyD reserves the right to make product improvement changes in specifications, materials and construction details. DbyD premier hardwoods vary in color and grain, which can affect finish color. Variances in photography, computer screens and printing may also cause finish colors shown to vary
3332 Atlanta Highway
Montgomery, Alabama 36109